Friday, March 14, 2014

Ramblings

I really don't have a clear idea of what to write about, so you're just going to have to bear with me. I've been wanting to write for a while though.

Spring break starts in less than a week. Wow! It really snuck up on me this year. (Snuck? Sneaked? Oh, whatever...) I only have 3 days of classes left. I'm really excited, because I have the privilege once again of going on a service trip to New Orleans with Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. I'm looking forward to it, not least to get out of this cold for a while... (Yes, Minnesotans can also get tired of the cold. Lately I've been getting lazy and not dressing warm enough, so I'm feeling it more than usual.) I have a lot to get done before then, because I know I won't have much time on the trip to do homework. So, I'm trying to stay focused for the next few days! Not an easy proposition with freedom looming so close on the horizon.

Speaking of which, it has been an ongoing struggle for me in general to find a balance in how to spend my time. Sleep and extracurricular things are very important to me, as is being overall happy and not stressed out. At the same time, I do have a lot of work that needs to get done!

This past Wednesday was one of my busiest days in a long time. I had a TON of work to do, and throughout the day I kept thinking about which homework I could skip and get away with, and which I actually needed to have done on time. Never a fun decision to make. However, by some miracle at the end of the day I had finished all of my work. And, despite all I had to do, it was an awesome day. I focused on my work, painted my nails, and listened to a lot of Disney music.

I'm still searching for a way to have more days like that. It was the best of both worlds: I was productive, but also happy. I'm a very analytic person, and sometimes I wish life had an algorithm. Couldn't there be a specific sequence of components to add to a day to make it productive and happy? If so, I have yet to figure it out...

Anyway. Happy pi day everybody! A foolproof way to know you're a math nerd: your friends post on your facebook wall in honor of pi day. Thanks guys :) Alas, I did not eat any pie today, but I celebrated in spirit nonetheless.

Despite the cold and snow that still lingers, I have seen definite signs of impending spring! Rarely have I been more excited than when I spied the first new plants of the season poking up out of the ground a few days ago. One of my favorite things about spring is how shockingly quickly the world transforms, and new life comes about. I've also seen 2 chipmunks in the past two days! They tend to disappear at the end of fall and not reappear until this time of year.

This morning I had an unfortunate (but admittedly funny) incident. In my dorm, there's a door between two flights of stairs. As I was hurrying down the stairs, I turned the handle and walked through the door. Except, apparently I didn't turn the handle far enough and the door didn't open, so instead of walking through it I smacked my forehead into it. I was just glad nobody was around to see. I have a bruise on my eyebrow, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn too dark. That would be unfortunate to have to explain...

Anyway, I should get going. I will hopefully be updating you soon about my trip coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment