Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Picture is Worth 1000 Words (and a Day is Worth 1440 Minutes)

I really enjoy sharing with you guys what I'm up to on a daily basis. Another post is in the works of larger life updates, but I had a really great day last Wednesday that I wanted to share with you all!

At Wellesley we have a tradition called lake day. Basically, its a celebration with food, music, and games that is a surprise until the night before. In past years lake day hasn't been very important to me, but this year for some reason I enjoyed the tradition much more. I met a friend for lunch and we headed over to Severance Green and the lake day festivities afterwards. We didn't stay very long, just to get cotton candy and deep friend bread dough (and flu shots, health services decided to take advantage of the gathering). The weather was perfect, and it was a great day to be outside seeing everybody enjoying themselves.

cotton candy :)

I've never gotten a flu shot
outdoors before!

Since the weather was beautiful, after lake day I couldn't make myself go inside to study. I decided to sit out in the Academic Quad, which is an area in the middle of campus surrounded by academic buildings. It's a pretty busy area of campus, so people I knew kept walking past and stopping to talk. Somebody stopped and studied with me for a while, and one of my professors walked past with his (adorable) dog, and a friend stopped and gave me candy. I tend to isolate myself while I'm studying, so it was a nice change of pace!

Later in the day there was an event in the math department called the math games. I wasn't going to go, but last minute a friend and I decided to go together. Basically we were put into teams, and each team was given one of the math professors as a judge. We were given different math puzzle problems and tried to solve as many as we could. There were lots of snacks and dessert (and way too much chocolate!) and overall it was a really fun event. A few of the problems were games, and they actually made us play the game rather than just explaining the solution. A highlight of the event was when our whole team had to go out in the hallway, stand in a line with either a 1 or 0 taped to our back, and correctly identify which number each of us had. It was a surprisingly nerve-wracking ordeal, but we prevailed!

The obligatory group photo

We ate so much fruit and cheese and chocolate that my friend and I swore we wouldn't eat dinner that night. Until we remembered that one of our dining halls was having a clam bake, and we decided we needed to go. There were tons of clams and lobster shaped cookies and corn on the cob cupcakes (decorated with jelly beans and candy to look like corn and butter) and other wonderful things.

Sometimes I forget to take advantage of all the cool things that happen on this campus. I'm trying to get better at that!


so much good (and slightly strange) food!

No comments:

Post a Comment