Sunday, February 8, 2015

Times I've Looked like an Idiot in Ireland

I rather like the alliteration of that title, don't you?

But in all seriousness, there are a lot of new things to learn when you enter a new culture. I had never been anywhere in Europe before this semester, so there are a lot of things I needed to figure out quickly. I've messed up a lot. And I'm sure I will continue to mess up. So, I decided to share a few amusing stories of times I'm sure I looked like an idiot, or at least felt like one. (This list is by no means exhaustive.)

  • The very first day I was in Ireland I went to the grocery store to get some basic things. I felt pretty accomplished for finding a grocery store and getting the things I needed and checking out without a problem (using credit cards is a bit different here.) But then, once I was at the end of the checkout I realized there were no bags. I stood there for a while, uncertain what to do. I realized I would just need to wait until the cashier was free and buy a bag, but there were people waiting and I couldn't exactly get back into line and leave all my groceries. So, I awkwardly waited at the end of the counter. The woman after me in line even asked if I was okay, apparently it was obvious that I had no idea what I was doing. But, after one more person checked out I was able to get the attention of the cashier and everything was fine. Until the next time I went grocery shopping... I did slightly better, at least I remembered that I needed to buy bags, but I forgot to ask for them until after he finished the transaction. Third time's the charm, I guess!
I happened to see this at the grocery store
today. Shopping is always an adventure,
even if do I remember to bring bags with me.
  • One day at the grocery store I bought a frozen pizza. I got back to my apartment and was all excited to make it for dinner. I looked at the package, and it said turn the oven on to 200 degrees. I was very confused, until I realized that it was celsius. Of course! But then I had another moment of panic when I wondered how I would know what 200 degrees celsius was on the oven dial. Then I had an "I'm an idiot" moment when I looked at the oven and the temperatures were in celsius. When you're used to seeing one thing your whole life, it takes time get used to a different system.

  • The first time that a friend and I went out to eat here, she looked at me and said "Do you tip in restaurants in Ireland?" Which made me realize, I had no idea. I had heard that the United States is somewhat unusual in our tipping practices, but I hadn't actually thought to find out how it worked here. Thank goodness for google and cell phones with data! (If you're curious, apparently it's normal to tip around 10% if there is table service, but not customary to tip at a bar or anything like that.) There are so many social protocols that are important to know in a new culture, but not obvious to figure out.
This is not the restaurant from the story,
but it was delicious. Chowder and crab legs!
  • The drinking age in Ireland is 18, which I did know before I came here. My second night in Ireland, however, I had kind of a shock. I attended a welcome reception for a program I was part of and they served wine, because of course all of us were old enough. That's something that would never be taken for granted at any official college gathering at home, since a lot of college students in the US can't legally drink. I really haven't drunk much in my time here, because I don't particularly enjoy it (and it's expensive!) but I've spent quite a bit of time in pubs with friends. Everything in Dublin closes really early, so if you want to go out at night pubs are one of your only options. 
We discovered recently that some tea
shops are open late too.

1 comment: