Friday, September 18, 2015

Fall Semester Update

Well, yet again another school year has begun. Except this year it's the last time, maybe ever! I'm trying not to think about that too much.

Convocation is a very senior-y event where
we wear our graduation gowns and attend
a ceremony
As always, it's been an interesting blend of exhausting and exhilarating. Every year moving in and getting all my stuff to my dorm is a process. Overall move-in went well though, being a senior and having friends is great! One friend picked me up from the airport and dropped me off at my dorm, which is a big deal; in the past I've paid $20-30 for a ride or lugged all my stuff on trains and buses. Not fun. Then a few days later another friend with a car helped me retrieve some of my stuff from across campus. (Thanks Ashley and Katie!)

I still feel a little unorganized and strange about being back at Wellesley, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting back into being responsible with my homework. I had forgotten how busy my life is at Wellesley. I wasn't really involved in any extra-curriculars while I was abroad at Trinity, and my classes took up much less time. I'm hoping that soon I can have a better grasp of what's going on and start holding myself more accountable to get things done in a timely manner!

One thing that I have been doing pretty well at so far is getting up earlier. I have ALWAYS wished I were a morning person, and I've finally decided it's time to try and get into that habit. It wasn't so bad over the summer having to be at work at 8 every morning, so I don't know why its always so hard during the school year. So far I'm doing pretty well at getting up early enough to have a leisurely breakfast and time to get ready before class. Not every day, of course, but just establishing what I want to be my new normal has been helpful. I'm hoping to keep that up as I get busier, it really does make for a more pleasant start to the day.

So, an update on my majors and my classes for the fall! I don't know if anybody's necessarily interested in this, but I'm going to share anyway.

I am officially a Computer Science major, and have been since my sophomore year. I've known that I wanted to do that for a long time, and I intend to make that my career when I graduate. However, I decided last spring to declare a Classical Civilizations major also! (Classical Civilizations at Wellesley basically consists of an ancient language, in my case Latin, and Greek and Roman history courses.) It has been an interesting journey to making that decision, if you're curious feel free to ask me about it :) Hurray for Liberal Arts colleges!

And finally, my classes for this semester. As you can imagine, it's a very interesting and diverse group! For my Computer Science major I'm taking two required courses: Algorithms, and Languages and Automata (it's not really worth me explaining them any more than that...) For my Classical Civ major I am taking an advanced Latin class (it's called Roman Poems and Poetry Books) and a course on the Archaeology of the Biblical World. That one is actually a religion class, but since the Classics department is relatively small they are great at accepting credit from other departments. Both of those classes are very interesting, but also labor intensive for me. While technically I suppose I'm a humanities major now, I still don't consider myself a humanities person. I feel more at home among problem sets and lectures than papers, readings, and discussions. For I think the first time ever, all the classes I am taking this semester count towards my majors, so I feel good about that!

I guess I can't really consider it the beginning of the semester anymore after 3 weeks of classes, but I'm still getting into the swing of things and the summer weather doesn't help it feel like fall! There's a lot I'm looking forward to this year, and a lot I'm dreading, but I'm excited to see where the journey takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment