Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Endings never come without beginnings

The month of April was a crazy (and wonderful) one. There have been so many ups and downs that I don't even know where to begin. Classes have been very busy as they are wrapping up for the semester. Of course there was the week of the Marathon, which was quite the experience in many different ways (both good and bad). The weather has become nice lately and everything has turned green and bloomed. Wellesley is a beautiful campus on any day, but with everything in bloom it is a breathtaking place to live.




Overall I have really been enjoying life lately. Sure, I've had a couple awful stressful weeks where I'm up late every night so I can finish all of the things I have to turn in. But I've still been mostly happy. Honestly, I think the weather itself has been a huge reason for my joy lately, despite how superficial that may sound. It is nearly impossible for me to be stressed out when I walk outside and the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming and the smell of mowed grass and flowers fills the air.

I am missing home so much right now though. I really want to see my family and friends in person, not just talk to them via texting and facebook and fuzzy Skype connections. I really want some time to relax and not have to think about what exams and papers and problem sets I have due soon. I want to have the freedom to cook my own food and not eat every meal every day in a dining hall (although I'm not complaining about our dining halls, I really like them). I want some time to be less social and not have a plethora of events to go to each week, no matter how fun they may be. (Why yes, I am an introvert.) I really want my own bed and the guarantee of a warm shower every day! (This semester that has been anything but certain in our dorm). I really just need to go home.

At the same time, a rather large part of me is dreading the end of this semester. Don't get me wrong, I want finals to be over just as much as the next person. I will be happy not to write any papers or take any exams for a while. But I will miss some of my classes and professors so much! I have been really lucky this semester.

Lately I have been realizing even more how much I love my classes. I realized it yesterday after math class when we ordered lunch and talked about life and told funny stories from our childhoods. I realized it last week when our math professor baked us chocolate chip cookies and told us the story about how he nearly flunked out of Kindergarten because he couldn't color in the lines. I realized it yesterday when our Spanish professor brought us chocolates and let us go from class early because it was so nice outside. I realized it last week when my computer science professor gave us a five minute lecture about how we might be brains in a lab somewhere being fed sensory data by scientists (long story...). I realized it today when in my classical studies class we got to talk about gladiators (and we also went off on a long tangent about life in the Midwest and how it differs from New England. And how my professor used to own 6 kayaks...) I wish I could tell you about all of the stories I have from classes and professors this year. Then again, with some of them you might not believe me...

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my reflections about my life lately. Minnesota friends, I will be home very soon! I can't wait to see you all. And Wellesley friends, I am sad we will have to part soon, but I will see you in the fall.

Nothing can end without something else great beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! My emotions rise & fall along with my college memories & homesickness for Minnesota family! Thanks for sharing from your heart! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very glad that people are reading them :) I love you too.

      Delete