Tuesday, May 21, 2013

There's No Place Like Home

I'm finally home!

This past couple weeks have been emotional for me, in ways both good and bad. It was an amazing feeling when I finished classes. For the first time I could remember I didn't have any homework I needed to do, and I didn't know what to do with all of my free time. The next day was a big reality check however, when realized that I should start studying for finals and also got sick. The next few days were awful as I attempted to study and take all of my finals while I was miserable with a bad sore throat. When I finally finished my last exam I was thrilled. As I walked out of the testing room I literally couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. However, this time my joy was even shorter-lived as I soon realized I had to pack up all of my stuff and be ready to leave my room within two days. I was thrilled to be heading home, but it never really hit me until I started packing that going home also meant leaving Wellesley.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I don't think I'm ever going to get used to living in two different places like this. It doesn't help that I usually fly back and forth so I can only bring a limited amount of stuff with me (and for the record, this time I brought too much!). I had to make so many  trivial decisions that made packing so much more difficult. How many sweatshirts will I need this summer? Will I regret it if I don't have that shirt home with me? How much stuff can I fit into that box so I will still be able to carry it to storage? If I bring that book home with me, will I actually read it this summer?

Packing was also hard because I know that life will be so different next year. I have really enjoyed this year, and I know that things will just never be the same. Different dorm, different roommate (I will miss you guys!), different classes. Packing all of my stuff made me realize how much I will miss things the way they were this year. Oh, as always I'm excited about the change too, and I'm sure I'll have a wonderful year next year. At this point its just hard to think about all of the things that will be different.

Anyway, enough about that. It's awesome to be home, but I haven't really been able to fully settle in yet. It didn't help that I started to get sick on Friday (again!). Sinus pressure and airplanes are a bad combination, so my right ear hasn't been properly functioning since I got home. I haven't been able to make myself unpack all the way or do much of anything besides sit on the couch. Thus far my summer hasn't gotten off to the best start, but I know once I'm less exhausted and disoriented I will be able to appreciate being here more. It is so great to be with my family again!

I'm hoping to have lots of exciting stories to tell you guys this summer! I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment