Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Snapshot of Summer

One thing about having a full time job this summer is that it makes me appreciate my free time so much more.

I had a wonderful summer afternoon with my mom this past Sunday. Let me try to paint you a picture:

The weather is absolutely gorgeous, one of the best days of the summer so far. It is sunny, with big white fluffy clouds in the sky that occasionally provide relief from the heat and sunshine, but with no threat of rain. The temperature is warm enough to make me know for sure that its summer, but as long as I stay in the shade the breeze makes it pleasantly cool.

As I walk down the sidewalk the scents of freshly mowed grass, of aromatic trees, and the subtle smell of a lake nearby drift past me.

As I sit in the grass, its the noises nearby that capture my attention. Birds call out to each other from neighboring trees. Boats chained up on the lake move under the power of the wind, the noise of their moorings like a multitude of wind-chimes on the water. The branches of the trees move with each gust of wind, their leaves joyfully rustling together.

I read my book for a while, but keep getting distracted by the stream of people walking, running, biking, and roller-blading by. I watch them, listening to short snatches of conversation and laughter as they pass. I'm not the only one enjoying this day.

I hold an ice cream cone and attempt to catch all of the drips with my tongue before they reach my fingers. The cold fills my mouth, but leaves my whole body feeling refreshed.

I cannot imagine a summer without days like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment