Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Book Review: The Secrets of Life and Death


This book alternates between telling the fictional story of a modern-day investigation into suspicious circumstances surrounding a girl's death and the journal of a historical figure named Edward Kelley (who was actually a real person). It is a well-balanced mix between historical fiction and a more modern story, and for most of the book trying to make the connection between the two is left up to the reader. It makes for a very exciting conclusion to the book. If you are interested in historical fiction or occult/religious myth (not only historically, but also in the present day) I think you would enjoy this book a lot.

Personally I have mixed feelings about this book. I considered not finishing it, which is very unusual for me. For my taste, the themes were too dark and occult. It's the kind of book that I can't read right before I go to sleep, because I feel like its going to give me bad dreams. I did finish the book in the end, however, because the story was so well written and engaging. I really liked the ending, so I'm glad I finished it. This is completely a matter of personal taste (I'm also the kind of person that can't watch horror movies) but if you don't like dark themes you probably don't want to read this book.

Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment